Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Passover then easter

So the day of passover i got really sick and ended up going to the doctor. She thought it was bronchitis and gave me meds. btw their medical system is grrrreat in australia. despite my sickness i went to a passover sedar that night. It was in bondi junction which is about an hour traveling away from where i am staying. It ended up that it was a chabbad and the family had ten children. They were each very interesting and there were two girls around my age that i spent the majority of the night with. we compared traditions in judaism and for countries. The food was also great! there was brisket and potatoes and guacamole. But we prayed for like 4 hours! I left a little early and I left at 1 am. A man at the sedar noticed that I had looked worried and looking at my watch so he figured I was worried about getting home which I was. all of the busses and trains had stopped running. So him and I walked back to his place which isnt far from where i am stayin and then from there he drove me to my apartment.
The next night I wasnt feeling well and knew i couldnt sit through another long service so I cancelled and stayed in. Apparently bondi Junction is where all the jewish people live. I eventually found out that there was a little tiny kosher section in the back of coles ( a local grocery store) right by me. But it was hard to find things around my area that were kosher.
Australians are not very religious people but they do take every excuse for a day or two off. My boss said that if a holiday falls on the weekend, they take either that friday or monday off as a public holiday. They also have four weeks of vacation time, and 10 sick days. And thats just average. I later talked to someone that said the minimum wage is 15 dollars but everyone usually gets 20. and he was older but he said he usually get 45 an hour....wldnt it b nice. Anywaysssss. so on easter they have that friday and monday as a public holiday for everyone. meaning that NOTHING is open. and i mean it wen i say NOTHING. on thursday night all bars close at midnight and dont open till saturday. there was really NOTHING to do. so of course we had to go to the beach and hang out. crazy australians lol. but ill tell u more bout easter weekend later..

No comments:

Post a Comment